Re: [opensuse] Removing hardware safely
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:31:45 -0500

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 13:15 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx> [11-03-07 13:08]:
I have two dvd-rw drives on this box (10.3) and need to take one out.
What is the recommended procedure for safely removing this ide device?

init 6
remove power source
remove case elements necessary for access

ground case and self/or self to case

unplug wired connections
release device retaining hardware
replace removed case elements

remove self-to-case grounding

connect power
start system

afaik, has been this way for ages.
- --

Thanks. Actually, what I was looking for was whether there were
procedures within suse to tell it that the device will no longer exist
in the system. Physically removing the hardware as you described, I
can do. :-)

I had this problem back in 9.3. (Actually, it was swapping out
hardware) where the system would become unresponsive upon bootup until I
switched back to the original hardware. That's probably an entirely
different scenario from simply removing hardware.

--
---Bryen---