Re: [opensuse] Removing hardware safely
  • From: joe <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:23:47 -0700

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx> [11-03-07 13:08]:
I have two dvd-rw drives on this box (10.3) and need to take one out.
What is the recommended procedure for safely removing this ide device?

init 6

I think "init 0" would be a better choice here -

remove power source
remove case elements necessary for access

ground case and self/or self to case

unplug wired connections
release device retaining hardware
replace removed case elements

remove self-to-case grounding

connect power
start system

afaik, has been this way for ages.

For the most part correct, but if the removal of the device caused a re-naming
of remaining devices, there would also be a need to boot up into rescue mode
and edit e.g. /etc/fstab, and fix grub to account for the new partition naming.

But in any case, as he said, no reinstall is needed, only the tweaking of a
few key parameters.

Joe