Re: [SLE] Suggestion, SUSE 10.1: Improve the Software Management
  • From: stephan beal <stephan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:20:20 +0200
On Friday 14 July 2006 05:24, The Nice Spider wrote:
> I think better check first if another instance already
> open then bring the
> active instance to the front. (rather than show the
> second window first and
> then show an error message). This happen if you do
> several click on the S/W
> Management icon.

This is not *generically* possible because ...

The first problem is that yast uses the same underlying framework for
the text and GUI versions. There is no way for a CONSOLE version to be
forced to the front like a GUI version can. So if i open a console
yast, then bury it somewhere in a Konsole session, and then start a GUI
yast, there is no programmatic way to force the console-based yast to
the front. The best we can do is say "Hey, it looks like you've got
another instance open somewhere."

The second problem is that you might not ACTUALLY have a second instance
open - this test is done based on a lock file, and it can happen that
the lock file is left around after a yast instance dies (is forcefully
killed). In that case, there is no instance to force to the front.

The third problem is that multiple users can run yast from multiple
desktop instances (e.g., my girlfriend and i are always both logged in
to KDE on the same machine). There is no way for one user to force the
app to the front on the other user's display, nor to "steal" the GUI
from one display to another.

--
----- stephan@xxxxxxxx http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands