[SLE] Getting SuSE 10.1 recogising my SATA disk.
  • From: "Matt Bottrell" <mbottrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:48:55 +1000
Short and sweet.

Long time Linux user.... and been using both RH and SuSE for many years.

Finally bought a new machine (AMD AM2 socket based (Pacifica support).

Anyway... time to move from my old Dual Core X2 4400+ machine to my new AM2
machine.

Motherboard is an Asus M2V (See specs here:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1171&l1=3&l2=101&l3=305)

Stuck in a Seagate 500GB SATA-II disk.

SATA chipsets on MB are as follows:

* VIA(r) VT8237A South Bridge:
2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD
* Marvell 88SE6121:
1 x Serial ATAI/II
1 x External Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard disk (SATA On-the-Go)

Unable to get the SATA disk recognised under either chipsets/ports. :(

Any clues.... I did a SATA install flawlessly under 10.0... though
haven't progressed far with SUSE 10.1.

I found it strange that the install also failed to find the IDE DVD -- and I
had to manually select the 'ide-generic' module for it to recognise the
drive.
I've attempted loading similar modules for the SATA controllers but with no
luck.

Any pointers would be greatfully recieved. :)
--
Matt Bottrell
mbottrell@xxxxxxxxx