Re: [SLE] Converting 3gp video format on Linux?
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 07:01:16 -0400
On Saturday 29 April 2006 08:43 am, Clayton wrote:
> Has anyone tried re-encoging/converting the 3gp video format that is
> common on most mobile phones?
>
> I'd like to be able to convert the 3gp video I have copied off the
> phone to an mpg format - purely for convenience.
>
> It would also be nice if I could convert regular video formats (ie avi
> ang mpg) for 3gp...
>
> I've poked around in the man pages for mencoder and also Googled a
> bit... loads of Windows utils but no useable hits on Linux.
>
> C.

I use ffmpeg for this. The following converts from the phone to an avi.

ffmpeg -i input.3gp -f avi -vcodec xvid -acodec mp3 output.avi

I use this to create videos for the phone.

ffmpeg -i input.whatever -f avi -vcodec xvid -b 112 -r 12 -s cif -acodec mp3
-ab 24 -ar 16000 output.avi

I've loaded SmartMovie (from Lonely Cat Games) onto my phone so it can play
XVid encoded AVIs. The above command wont produce a video that you would want
to watch on anything larger than your phone. On the other hand, a movie from
DVD ended up at about 111MB. With a 512MB card I can have two full length
movies and still have room left over for a bit of music.

The movie was backed up from DVD as follows:

mencoder dvd://12 -ovc lavc -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=128:vol=9 -o
output.avi

The number 12 in the above command would be different for other DVDs. Try the
following with different numbers until you get what you want.

mplayer dvd://12

--
Louis Richards