Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 01:43:54 +0700
On Friday 12 May 2006 01:05, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 13:16, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > Well, here is the result of l ds* gives following
> >
> > :/dev> l ds*
> >
> > crw-rw-rw- 1 cbvn audio 14, 3 2006-05-11 21:02 dsp
> > crw------- 1 cbvn audio 14, 19 2006-05-11 21:02 dsp1
> >
> > No dsp-1 so I really do not know where that comes from.
>
> OK, I've done a little searching on Google and I'm starting to believe that
> 'dsp-1' is actually a label used by Skype to point to the first /dev/ds* in
> the list of available/prospective devices it populates during setup (i.e.
> dsp-1 is Skype's internal label for the first ds* it finds under /dev)
>
> Here's what mine looks like:
> crw-rw----+ 1 carl audio 14, 3 2006-05-06 20:11 dsp
>
> You haven't said whether or not you've looked under 'Tools' > 'Options' in
> Skype to try changing the selected device. Have you done that? What devices
> do you see listed there?

I did look there and changed the setting from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 and back.
After running in console I found that Skype uses /dev/dsp-1 for what shows
inunder the tools as /dev/dsp and it uses /dev/dsp1 for /dev/dsp1
Go figure. Whatever I choose, the information is still the same. Problem with
sound device.
I can of course always go back to the functioning 9.3 but I think that would
not be the Suse way ;).
By the way after a reboot I got my email notification back, still in a
shortened form.

< Previous Next >