Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:18:56 -0400
On Thursday 11 May 2006 14:43, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> I did look there and changed the setting from /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp1 and
> back. After running in console I found that Skype uses /dev/dsp-1 for what
> shows inunder the tools as /dev/dsp and it uses /dev/dsp1 for /dev/dsp1
> Go figure. Whatever I choose, the information is still the same. Problem
> with sound device.

I have to run out for a bit. Can you, in the interim, head over to the Skype
forum links that I provided and do some reading and testing? It seems from a
trend in the Google hits I'm seeing that a change in SUSE between 9.2/9.3 and
10.0 broke Skype on many people's systems. The problem seems to be at least
partly hardware-driven in that the hardware you've got determines which
modules are loaded automatically and this, in turn, seems to affect which
approach works. The "solutions" are all over the board, too...

I'll look at this more after I get back this evening. If you can keep some
basic notes as you're exploring and trying things out, I'd like to know what
you've found.

cu

Carl

< Previous Next >