Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:21:13 +0700
On Friday 12 May 2006 05:36, Carl Hartung wrote:

> Hi Constant,
>
> I have an idea... I'd like to see if we can't convince your system to
> configure and behave more like mine and other people's that only have
> one /dev/dsp (you *did* say you're running on-board only, no separate sound
> card, right?)
>
> Please try the following:

> What you want to see is a plain vanilla /dev/dsp with permissions matching
> mine (posted previously.) If this procedure cleans up that anomaly, I'd be
> inclined to remove every trace of Skype, download the latest rpm and
> install it again from scratch before testing it.
>
> Good luck!

Carl,
Back again and in the startblocks for a new attack on my system.
Did exactly as you proposed to do and end up with the usual info.

The content from the alsa configuration is as follows:
Starting alsaconf: Fri May 12 21:35:00 WIT 2006
sb16 isapnp=0
sb8 dma8=1 irq=5
sb8 dma8=3 irq=5
Starting alsaconf: Fri May 12 21:36:05 WIT 2006

Again /dev/dsp and dsp1.

In order to uninstall the sound card I had to remove it. In my Yast deleting
of a card does not work.
A fresh install of Skype after rpm -e skype and removing ny trace of skype
from my home directory was done with the latest download. No result.

Really wonder after reading trough a lot of the reactions on the Skype list if
it is not time to just get another voip product. That is for the moment
something which is widely discussed on the Skype list. I am close to giving
up. Any experience with others such as Openwengo, Ekiga,Twinkle, SIPphone and
Gizmo?