Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 01:34:23 +0700
On Saturday 13 May 2006 23:24, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Saturday 13 May 2006 10:44, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> > No screw up on your side. I have a soundcardles board and a PCI sound
> > card.
>
> What's your mainboard make/model?
>
> > It was not possible to delete the card(s) that where found on the system
> > so I took the sound card out and got a fresh possibility to setup my
> > card. Did it with alsa as you proposed after rm several files. and
> > stopping starting rcalsasound etc. Was a good idea but it did not help
> > any.
>
> Did YaST ID the card correctly? My notes show:
> Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI128
> Is this the correct model number? Do you have a revision number?
>
> > Think that I return to my full functioning but slower 9.3 where by the
> > way I have dsp dsp1 dsp2 and dsp3
> > Do not ask me why. They are just there ;)
>
> I'm beginning to think in 10.0 dsp is trying to act as 'record' and 'play'
> for left channel and dsp1 for the right channel when it should be dsp is
> 'record' for both left and right with dsp1 as 'play' for left and right.
> Confused yet? ;-)
>
> As you've described, above, in your working 9.3 setup the card's functional
> input/output pairs are being represented by four discreet /dev/ds* entries.
>
> I don't know the age of this card, but we might need to review the
> drivers/parameters in more detail. That's why I'm hoping you can verify the
> card model *and* revision number for me.
>
> > Think I wait for 10.1 or 10.3.
>
> If you can run 9.3 while keeping 10.0 installed to debug it, that would be
> the ideal scenario. Also, I think finding and fixing (or working around)
> the problem in 10.0 will carry over into 10.1, meaning it should make
> 'tweaking' Skype to work in 10.1 easier.

You are right.That was the whole idea of having 10.0 on the other half of my
hard disk. As I said, in my 9.3 setup I had 4 dsp from 0 to 3. Thought it may
be not as invented and after my first information with Skype was the "problem
with sound" I have redone my sound system as you proposed for the 10.0.
Yast 9.3 let me delete the sound card (10.0 did not do that- could you check
if you could delete the sound card with Yast in 10.0?) and the rest was just
a walkover. I have now just one dsp but for the moment no email notification.
Not such a problem. Everything else at the sound side works in 9.3.
During daylight, tomorrow I will open up my box and have a look at the card in
order to find the version number. But after the fine reinstall of the sound
card I wonder whether a reinstall of the Yast modules could bring
improvement. Will keep you informed.

< Previous Next >