Re: [opensuse] ATI fglrx and GLX
  • From: Christoph Thiel <cthiel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 00:45:44 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 10 May 2006, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> >> I found cool cool solution ;)
> >> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17174.html
> >>
> >> but this cool solution is not so cool for ati users... Is there some
> >> problem with ati graphics card and fglrx driver???
> >>
> >> I am asking about suse 10.1
> >
> > I'm using the fglrx driver (version 8.24.8) on my T41p and I'm
> > actually running Xgl on it. So, no, there is no problem with it ;)
>

> Has anybody succeeded in using the opensource radeon driver with Xgl?
> The only thing I get on my RV350 card is a blank screen and 100% CPU
> load. If I use normal Xorg, everything works fine (and glxgears runs at
> 1200 frames/s).
>
> Quoting the Xgl_Troubleshooting page:
> "ATI / open source driver "radeon"
> * Driver does not accelerate blits from back buffer to front buffer
> which makes it very slow, and screen updates may flicker. The driver
> will soon be updated and should then work OK.
> * Driver has neither pBuffer nor FBO support."
>
> Since that statement is a few months old, does that mean the driver now
> works OK?

I'v gotten hard hangs with the open source driver (r300 project) and
stopped using it afterwards ;) But last time I check was actually quite
some time ago.

On LinuxTag I configured a laptop for Xgl, using the open source driver.
IIRC, it was some Acer laptop with an older ATI graphics card. Xgl was
working quite acceptable on it. I could try to get some more info on that
maschine if that would help anyone?

In any case, Stefan could probably report on the open source ATI driver
and it's current state ;)

Regards
Christoph

< Previous Next >