Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:31:58 +0000 (UTC)
Paul W. Abrahams wrote:

> On Friday 11 November 2005 7:41 pm, Felix Miata wrote:

> > In kinfocenter section X server, what is the reported DPI and screen
> > resolution?

> DPI is 97 x 92, screen size is 335mm x 283 mm, and that matches the physical
> screen. Resolution is 1024 x 768.

That's an odd aspect screen. Normal screens have 4/3 or higher aspect
ratios. Some flat panels are a bit taller for their 5/4 aspect ratio
native 1280x1024 resolution. What kind of display do you have?

97x92 is close to the windoze default of 96x96 that browsers now days,
and web pages, tend to presume you are running.

> I fixed the problem through the Gnome control center, which offers lots of
> flexibility. The tiny font, according to Gcc, was 10 points; raising it to12
> gave a reasonable result. My presumption is that whoever chose the 10 points
> liked the way it looks.

Most people wouldn't classify 10pt on a display that size running
1024x768 as tiny. 10pt is about 13.3px, and the Firefox web page font
size preference defaults to 16px, only 16.7% larger. 10pt is also about
3mm, roughly 30% larger than most front page newspaper copy.

It's nice that Linux enables you to have it your way. :-)
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/