Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 06:30:09 +0000 (UTC)
B. Stia wrote:

> I have a 21" tft lcd that runs 1600x1200 and kinfocenter says the dpi is
> 75x75. And the physical dimensions are 542x406 mm's, (that doesn't
> seem right?)

Are you running 8.2 or something older? 542x406 does not compute for any
21" display I can imagine.

> Your page shows my dpi should be 96. (and yes the measure
> is 1") What is correct?

You don't say which page. http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/dpi.html
shows that Kinfocenter seems to be lying.
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/dpi-screen-window.html reports what
xft/fontconfig tells it from
(document.getElementById("inches").offsetWidth) (if using an XFT build
of Mozilla and JS is enabled), unless you have used Mozilla pref
browser.display.screen_resolution to override it.

> There also doesn't seem to be a way in SAX to
> change the dpi, only refresh rates and resolution.

I so rarely use SAX for anything, I can't begin to guess what it should
or should not be able to do. I hand tune /etc/X11/xorg.conf and if
necessary /etc/X11/Xresources to achieve desired DPI results. Normally I
set to a multiple of 12, which seems to minimize anomolies in font size
renderings when web pages size text in pt. One pt is 1/72".

A Linux desktop won't necessarily have a single DPI. Kinfocenter gets
its info from xdpyinfo, which reports what xfs believes the DPI to be.
XFT versions of Mozilla will report the DPI that xft/fontconfig believe
it to be. Without an entry 'DisplaySize' in 'Section "Monitor"' I find
typically these will not match.

Running any recent SuSE you can typically force the two to match
whatever DPI you wish to have, accurate or not, by creating a
DisplaySize entry in xorg.conf or XF86Config or XF86Config-4 as
applicable to your system. If you find this fails to create a match, add
or uncomment an entry "Xft.dpi: 96" (or whatever DPI you desire) in
Xresources. You can pick a DisplaySize/DPI combination from
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/Cfg/displaySize if you wish. If this too
fails, you're most likely starting X with a '-dpi 75' parameter via some
script or config file somewhere in the /etc tree.
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/