Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox (DPI & PT)
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:10:06 +0000 (UTC)
marbux wrote:

> On 11/15/05, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > marbux wrote:

> > > Felix, on SuSE 9.3, under KDE > System > Monitor > X-Server, I show:

> > > Dimensions: 1280 x 1024 pixel (382 x 292 mm)
> > > Resolution: 85 x 89 dpi

> > If those mm dimensions are accurate, your display aspect ratio is
> > non-standard, and it's using rectangular pixels (hence the unequal dpi
> > values): http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/dpi.html

> If I am understanding the linked chart correctly, the numbers also
> roughly equate to settings for a 19-inch monitor, but mine is a
> 21-inch (Silicon Graphics). Could that have anything to do with the
> issue?

The chart computes all values based upon actual diagonal dimensions. CRT
vendors universally overstate the usable diagonal size of the tube,
instead advertising the gross diagonal tube size, which can be up to 2"
larger than the maximum diagonal dimension viewable.

To anyone not using a flat panel, I recommend choosing some resolution
other than the oddball 5/4 aspect 1280x1024, with a screen as large as
yours, at least 1400x1050. If I had one the size of yours, I'd probably
be at 1920x1440. I'm using 1792x1344 on my local server.

http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/std-resolutions.html

> And I would appreciate a pointer on what changes to make and where to
> make them. I've never had to mess with X-server settings before.

Joe Morris gave you the convenient answer for this. The direct route
would be to do what sax2 does, and add a DisplaySize entry to xorg.conf
in 'Section "Monitor". If you wish a particular DPI, you might wish to
choose one from the list at:
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/tmp/DisplaySize
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/

< Previous Next >