Re: [SLE] Menu font for Firefox
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:38:37 +0000 (UTC)
Kevanf1 wrote:

> Guys I don't go with all this business of having to set up the toolbar
> fonts through Gnome (Control Center). What if I choose not to have
> Gnome installed due to space reasons?

Four choices:
1-Be happy/live with the Firefox UI defaults
2-Install a theme with the smaller or larger fonts you want
3-Install only the Gnome components required to control fonts,
gnome-control-center and its deps
4-Customize with CSS

> The author of this particular book also mentions using the Gnome (Gtk)
> settings but I think he hints at other ways too. He also mentions a
> way of doing this in KDE that will be implemented in the near future.

That's probably an optional build configuration that substitutes the QT
(aka KDE) toolkit for GTK2. AFAIK, it remains experimental.

> Again though, if I choose not to have the two heavy weight desktops
> there must be another way of doing it. I'm leaning towards hacking
> the 'chrome' files in some way. Apparently it can be done cleanly.

CSS is a perfectly capable way of doing it. It just isn't simple for a
CSS novice, unlike using the GTK2 control center.

Besides your book there are a number of resources on the web where help
in customizing Mozilla apps are available, including:
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html
http://www.mozilla.org/unix/dpi.html
http://forums.mozillazine.org/
http://www.squarefree.com/userstyles/
irc://moznet/#firefox
irc://moznet/#mozillazine
irc://moznet/#css
--
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/

< Previous Next >