Re: [opensuse] feedback on SuSE10.0RC1 from a former gentoo'er
  • From: Martin Sommer <msommer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:40:59 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Daniel Bertolo wrote:

> [...]
>
> If that is illegal because I could capture the video stream and TVtime
> would not add that Macrovision stuff to my video file, that would mean
> that any TV application is illegal which is able to capture a stream on
> SVIDEO or Composite.
>
> So, now my question: What exactly has to be done in order to build a
> legal DVD player for Linux?

Not much: You need only:

- convince all developers of the xine project (>30) that they change the
xine license from GPL to LGPL or BSD (use alternatively the mplayer or
the ogle project or write one from scratch)) to be able to link against
the proprietary CSS stuff
- sign a contract with the DVD CCA to get the official CSS technology
- pay 19,000 USD a year to DVD CCA
- implement the CSS technology into xine
- talk to all major graphics card vendors and convince them to support
Linux and provide interfaces for the use of macrovision in Linuxplayers
- implement it into the player
- sign a contract with Dolby for decoding dolby 2 channel and/or
6 channel sound
- pay approx. 0.8 - 1.50 USD per sold copy of the program to Dolby
(depends on sound quality and the number of sold copies)
- sign a contract with MPEGLA for decoding mpeg2 video format
- pay 2.50 USD per sold copy to MPEGLA (independent from numbers)

That's all, let's begin! ;-)

--
Dr. Martin Sommer Product Manager Consumer Products
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstraße 5, D-90409 Nürnberg