Re: [opensuse] Packages from a user and Packager perspective
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:38:01 +0200
Hi,

On Tuesday, September 06, 2005 at 13:48:25, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 06, 2005 at 12:58:43, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> >> Quality is definately the most important aspect, much more important
> >> than quantity.
> > The problem is identifying quality packages.
> > One solution to this problem is identifying quality over quantity.
> > Another one would be to let the whole of us decide and express our
> > finding of quality in an easy way.
>
> Hey, I was just giving my opinion on the subject :)

Sure. I just wanted to move the discussion away from that one solution :)

> > Im sure there are more ways to talke this problem.
> > I myself find the "quality over quantity" approach not to good. I does
> > not fit into my understanding of "open". And thats what we want to be.
> > openSUSE not somepeopledecidesomenotSUSE..
>
> Henne, who is deciding on what's going into the SUSE media or into the ISOs ?
> ... see ;)

Well thats not carved into stone...

> I don't see your point. Anyone would be invited to join in. Anyone can apply.
> But that involves:
> - - being the committed maintainer of the package
> - - accepting to be reviewed, at least in the beginning
> - - follow some guidelines on how to write the packages
> - - maybe also being on a central mailing-list with the other packagers
>
> C'mon, it's the same on packman: someone sends an e-mail "hi I packaged this".
> Would you just take his RPM and put it in the packman repository as-is, without reviewing or testing
> it ?

No of course not. But they already walked down that "quality by
quantity" street of doing things. They have no other implementation in
place were they could handle it differently.

With openSUSE we are talking about implementing something from scratch.

> What would be nice, regarding that, is to have the possibility of
> letting users post their experience with the packages through some web
> interface. When an "unstable" package has a certain amount of positive
> feedback from users, it's being promoted to "stable".
>
> And "testing" packages simply get promoted to "unstable" when they
> have been reviewed by at least 1 or 2 experienced packagers.

You see? Thats what im talking about. Why has this to be tied to package
classes like stable, unstable, testing? Why cant you just do that for
every single package?

Henne

--
Henne Vogelsang, Subsystems
"Rules change. The Game remains the same."