Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:41:28 +0200
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:48:39AM +0200, houghi wrote:
> So tyhis is what I do. I mount my CD2.iso on /mnt. I then run jigdo-lite.
> It asks me for a .jigdo file and I eneter
> http://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~schiele/jigdotest/boot.jigdo
> It looks at the differences.
>
> Somehow I don't think that is the correct file for the differences for the
> one I want. It want to make a boot.iso and I want it to make a
> SUSE-10.0*.iso

You mean you want the 5 CD set? Well, in that case you need the appropriate
jigdo file from the same directory. boot.jigdo is the one to create the
network install image.

> I still see the advatages (although it needs a LOT of streamlining) as an
> alternative to the delta downloads that are already out there. Or are
> there mofre differences between the two.

I _don't_ consider this as an alternative to the delta images but as an
alternative to downloading full blown ISO images. The delta images should
stay because they are are very good solution.

> With differences I mean, are there things that the delta's do that jigdo
> doesn't?

The delta images produce deltas with deep knowledge of the RPM package format.
jigdo does not have this knowledge. If you have old images I recommend to use
the delta images but for users that don't have the old images jigdo can do the
job.

> One extra question, what about people who have used my script to make a
> DVD? They don't have the cd's against wich you compare.

There is a misunderstanding: jigdo does not compare to a specific old image
but to a set of files. It does not matter on which media they are located.
It just scans a local directory (if specified) for files already present and
then downloads all missing ones. When it has got all needed files it
assembles the final ISO image.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214