Re: [opensuse] Ahain a new version of makeSUSEdvd
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:05:44 +0200
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:29:11AM +0200, houghi wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 09:03:38AM +0200, Robert Schiele wrote:
> Do far I am not going to comment, because I do not have it running.
> http://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~schiele/suse/ does not offer me a
> workable solution. The other solutions ask me for a .jigdo file that I
> don't have and am not aware of.

See below.

> > Have fun! Should I provide you with some of the sample images I made for
> > beta3?
>
> That would be nice, but I first need to get to a .jigdo file.

You can find everything you need in
http://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~schiele/jigdotest/. You can either
test with the i386 CD images for beta3 (the SUSE-10.0-CD-OSS-i386-Beta3*
files) or with the network boot image (the boot.* files). The last one is
better suited for a small test because it is much smaller.

If we provided these images to a wider audience we should add even more mirror
servers to allow load balancing but I think for this test the current jigdo
file is ok.

> This is my comparison till this moment. ftp winds handsdown:
> 1. Go to the download page
> 2. Download
> You have your iso's
>
> For jigdo it is:
> 1. Go to the .jogdo download
> 2. Download jigdo

This could be provided from the download page then to ease the pain.

> 3. search for a .jigdo file

This would be provided on the download page then.

> 4. Run the program
> 5. ? Not sure if there is a step 5, as I did not get that far.

That should be all. You have an ISO image afterwards.

> So what I am saying, although it might be a great tool, it will not be for
> everybody to use. I am by no means a guru or wizzard, but I am also not
> really a begeinner, so if I am stuck a lot of people will get stuck as
> well. With FTP I can say, click on http://example.com/cd1.iso and so on.
>
> With jigdo I need to have them install another program.
>
> Again, perhaps really great, but hardly : " not more difficult to explain
> jigdo to the average user than it is to explain how to burn ISO images "

Sure there are more "steps" and we need some _good_ documentation for the
process but if we have that I still think that an average user can do it.

> As I understand, jigdo will also only download (and make) the iso's, so
> that step has to be made for both.

Sure, but it releases the load we currently have on the mirror servers. In my
opinion this is a reasonable value.

Feel free to add your experiences to the wiki page and ask more questions.
That way we could improve the documentation. It is likely that I don't see
several problems because I just consider some things to be self-evident that
other users don't consider to be.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214