Re: [opensuse] Capitalization issues - SuSE SuSe SUSE ???
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:46:16 -0400
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:01:20PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >
> >> It was never "SuSe". The last letter was always a capital "E". The
> >> difference are the dots and the "u",
> >
> > Where do the dots come in? Is there a version called S.u.S.E?

1992 September :

Gesellchaft fur Software und Systementwicklung mbH (English is "Company for
Software and system development Ltd" or S.u.S.E

> They were there in the beginning, the company was called that way
> initially, I think it was mentioned in this thread already. I guess
> we should open a page on the wiki explaining the history.

March 1993 : Sales of the system software "Linux" begins on 60 floppy disks

Apr 1994: Release of Linux 1.0

May 1996 : First version of S.u.S.E Linux with insstallation tool YAST1

Mar 1997 : Establishment of a sales company in the USA.

July 1998 : S.u.S.E Linux 5.2 is best selling Linux distro to date (As it
should be)

Dec 1998 : No more dots. S.u.S.E becomes SuSE

Jan 1999 : Establishment of the in house publisher SuSE PRESS

May 1999 : Besides the English, French, German, and Italian versions, SUSE
6.1 now appears in Spanish as well.

Nov 1999 : A major change in 6.3, YAST1 is replaced with the GUI YAST2.

Jan 2000 : Establishment of the support center in Breman, Germany

Mar 2000 : SuSE 6.4 includes colorful install manual

Aug 2000 : For the first time, SuSE Linux 7 is released in two versions
(Personal and Professional)

Nov 2000 : Release of SuSE Linux for IBM S/390

Feb 2001 : SuSE Linux 7.1 gets 2.4 Kernel.

Mar 2001 : At the CeBIT tradeshow, an optimized version of SuSE Linux for
servers is introdiced under the same SuSE Linux for Enterprise Server.

Apr 2001 : SuSE presents 7.1 for SPARC

June 2001 : 7.2 gets released with the firewall, 2.4 Kernel, and crypto
file system

Jan 2002 : Release if SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 for the pSeries and
iSeries.

Apr 2002 : SuSE Linux 8.0 is released with the new GUI KDE 3.0

May 2002 : SuSE Linux, Caldera, Conectiva, and Turbo Linux launch
UnitedLinux, a joint Linux for enterprise deployment before SCO and Caldera
decided to suck.

September 2002 : Happy Birthday !! :)

Allen who typed this out of Love / Liebe Fur SUSE.

> Andreas
> --
> Andreas Jaeger, aj@xxxxxxx, http://www.suse.de/~aj
> SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
> GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

< Previous Next >