Re: [SLE] How to setup local IMAP server, and which one ? (with eventual HTTP-feature ?)
  • From: David SMITH <dave.smith@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:34:16 +0000
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:12:58AM -0700, Brad Bourn wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2004 07:31 pm, James Knott wrote:
> > Joe Polk wrote:
> > > I thought SuSE didn't allow standard POP3 by default. What is IMAP going
> > > to give you different?
> >
> > The advantage with imap is when you've got multiple computers or mail
> > clients. In pop, only the client that downloads it, has it available.
> > With imap, the mail stays on the server, so that all clients can see all
> > the messages.
>
> But don't you then have to be connected to the server to get mail?

Yes, but you can still configure your client to behave the same way as with
POP (to download each message to the local machine and delete it from the
server), but with IMAP, you have the choice of downloading it locally and
deleting from the server, or leaving it on the server.

--
David Smith Work Email: Dave.Smith@xxxxxx
STMicroelectronics Home Email: David.Smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx