Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: Dylan <dylan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:39:26 +0100
On Wednesday 06 Oct 2004 20:58 pm, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Anthony, Folks,
>
> On Wednesday 06 October 2004 12:37, Anthony Edwards wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:27:25PM -0700, Matthew wrote:
> > > Deleted a lot of messages, but anyone else notice this?
> > >
> > > X.Org 6.8.1
> >
> > Indeed. x.org rocks, and is a delight to use on FreeBSD. I am
> > looking forward to this release with eager anticipation.
>
> What's the big deal about this new implementation of X?

IIUC, there is a philosophical (and maybe practical commercial) problem
with the licence for the new XFree86.

X.Org is backed by Sun, IBM, HP, SGI, and others; whereas XFree86 is a
community based project. Thus, X.org has clout with OEMs for obtaining
hardware info, clear development goals, and credibility with
(potential) corporate users.

X.Org is also the body responsible for maintaining the X11 standard,
their implementation is, therefore, most likely to implement it
correctly and accurately.

Dylan

--
"I see your Schwartz is as big as mine"