Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: Danny Sauer <suse-linux-e.suselists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 11:51:07 -0500

> > > I'm pretty sure it's the browser that decides how a link is handled,
> > > based on what it says in the html
> >
> > The HTML doesn't have anything to do with it. I've used the same browser to
> > test my pages as I always do, (Links and Galeon), and it works different on
> > RedHat, it's how they have Apache set up.
>
> Well perhaps you could explain what you mean by "loading my hostname" then? As
> far as I know, there are three types of links, relative, absolute and URL. if
> you have a relative link (one that doesn't start with a /) the browser will
> prepend the current URL up to the last / and submit the request. If you have
> an absolute link (one that starts with a /) then the browser will prepend the
> current hostname up to the first / and submit the request. And if you have an
> URL (a link that starts with http:// or other protocol) then the browser
> won't alter it at all, it will just open it. Maybe I've missed something, but
> I really don't see where the web server comes into all this.

It's just a guess, but he's probably referring to the hostname set in
httpd.conf. It'd be relevent when you go to a URL that's actually a
directory, and the server generates a redirect to the index document.
Apache can be set to either use the servername/client-provided host header
to generate a "real" redirect, or just do the redirect internally (like
it does with the ProxyPass directive). If it's doesn't do the redirect
internally, or if ServerName is set, then the client can request
http://alias/path/ but get redirected to http://realname/path/index.html.
The browser will display the new URL in that case, wich will lead to
a situation similar to what Allen's describing.

Allen - it'll take some time, but you'll probably benefit from reading
up the description of all the stuff Apache can do. Just go to apache.org,
click on "HTTP Server", and start reading documentation for the version
you prefer to run (which should really be 2.0 unless you *have* to use
1.x). Knowledge is power, and Apache takes lots of power to use effectively.
:)

--Danny