Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out
  • From: Örn Hansen <orn.hansen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 04:46:45 +0200
torsdag 14 oktober 2004 01:26 skrev Allen:
> Too become one of those UNIX Wizards who sit there for ours on end hacking
> away at their Console/ Terminal.

I remember a few years ago, when I was working at a given company, that the
young guys were all working with GUI's while I was working with Terminal
based programs, for the most part. They were working with RAD tools, and to
them, that was the world ... I was working with ancient stuff. :-) To their
surprise, I surpassed them at a course that aimed at teaching a specific RAD
tool, despite them working with that tool for a whole year. And, I expect
that the same story can be said in other places ... but, it's not about that
Terminal based software gives you greater knowledge, or that hacking on
machine code, teaches you anything more than modern C++ or Java does. People
at my age, have been programming for such a time, that we've all more or less
built tools for ourselves, which are provided to us by RAD tools ... thus,
such a tool is of no surprise to us. Just simplifies our work ... nor does
the ability to remember the shortcut keys to an application, specify a
persons ability or lack thereof ... shortcut keys and parameters, is
something you look for in a quick manual page, you already know what you're
looking for ... it's this "already know what you're looking for ..." that is
the trick. This you can learn, with or without RAD tools ... and with or
without terminal based programs.

> Heh, I actually started designing an OS not long ago. OSs are something I'm
> good with and I know how they work OK, and so I wanted to design one for
> me, and started it. I've had good, and very good responces. People love it,
> and think ti's a great idea, but again I don't code.

Coding, is merely a realisation of what you've designed.