Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out-terminal question
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:25:47 -0400
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:08:30AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >James,
> >
> >On Monday 25 October 2004 18:52, James Knott wrote:

> >>Take a look at the IMSAI 8080. That was my first computer, which I
> >>bought in Nov 1976.
> >

> >Lucky you! All I could do was read the article in Electronics
> >Illustrated ... Or was it Popular Electronics? Yeah, I think it was
> >Popular Electronics. I was hooked on both of 'em when I was a kid.
>
> There was an article in the (IIRC) Jan 1974 issue of Popular Electronics
> about the Altair 8800. The IMSAI was an Altair clone. Of course, back
> in those days, computer hardware was far more expensive than now, and
> couldn't do anywhere near as much. For example 4 Kbytes of memory ran
> about $200. Almost all hardware came in kit form, consisting of a bare
> board and a bag of parts. So we did a lot of soldering back in those
> days. For example, each connector on the mother board required 100
> solder connections. Also, in order to do anything, I first had to load
> in a monitor program, using the front panel and then save it to
> cassette. I also had to write my own device drivers in assembler and
> then hand assemble the code, which was then entered using the front
> panel. However, back in those days you also knew your computer inside

Heh, see that's whatwas cool, back then you HAD too know, and that brings
me too my last point;

People today are spoiled and don't know nearly enough about the machines
they spend money on. They just want too download MP3s, and that would mean
me too, as I grew up a spoiled by Windows computer user too heh.