Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out-terminal question
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:31:31 -0400
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 12:56:47PM -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Richard wrote:
> > On Monday 25 October 2004 05:32 pm, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > > My first computer experience was with a IBM 650.   The memory was on a
> > > rotating belt-driven drum.   Sometimes with a power spike, the belt
> > > would snap.....   :-)
> >
> > Didja ever see what happens to a 6 foot drum with fixed heads when there is
> > a sudden phase reversal? The drum, rotating at 3600 rpm, stops in a
> > fraction of a rotation as it slams into the heads.
> >
> > I doubt if many here have ever heard of, much less worked on a serial drum
> > machine using ac logic. That was the first Process Control Computer, a
> > RW/BR-300 invented around 1957 and still controlling the original process
> > at the Texaco refinery when I left the company in 1973. You had to speak
> > machine language on that one, assembly came later.
> > ra
>

> I have to admit that brings back old memories. The old optical tapes,

Hehe, I gave you a free vacation in memory lane lol. I'll have too wait 20
years before I can talk about the olden days of Pentium 4s and Nvidia cards
too play Doom3, heh. From what I have read, a PDP machine was around 1 - 10
MHz. Some people wouldn't call that fast, but running UNIX, well, it
wouldn't be too slow either. My Security + eacher tells me about his older
days of computing too, where he would sit for days at his text based OS
messing around. Like I do now heh.

> punch cards and the PDP equipment. I worked with Sperry/Univac who became
> UNISYS. It was always fun play with the old equipment. I was surprised
> at how slow the US goverment was in moving forward. We had to support
> equipment for the late 1950's and eary 1960's. That was in 1970-1987.

I can't knock the 60s, they gave you Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The
Doors, Janis Joplin, and UNIX. Not too mention cars had V8 engines
standard. :)

> OH... nestalgia... Maybe it dates a few of us...

But this is good for you, it lets you look back on your life and reflect on
all you've done, and gotten through. Enjoy it man.