Re: [SLE] new v9.2 is out-terminal question
  • From: Allen <gorebofh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:46:47 -0400
On Thursday 28 October 2004 00:39, Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 October 2004 06.22, Allen wrote:
> > I'm sure you know that admins rarely have
> > a GUI for everything.
>
> Admins rarely work directly on the servers, I have yet to see an admin that
> didn't work from a desktop workstation, and it's possible to do command
> line stuff from X. Virtual terminals are *so* much nicer
>
> Command line administration is good to know, but there's no need to be a
> masochist

Haha, I'm not THAT much of a Masochist. There are some things I don't even
WANT too do with a VC. Like Using Vim as a useradd tool with /etc/passwd.
I've seen a Free BSD user do that in a book and I was horrified. So you see,
there is human in me :)

When I use my laptop, I only drop to a VC too check Root mail, that's about
it. I use Enlightenment and WindowMaker on it for GUI stuff, and sometimes
Gnome and Kde. *Shutter* I just got an image in my head of that dude on BSD
adding users with Vi. *Cringe* They say Free BSD admins "prefer it this way".
Must be the same ones who install the entire system from floppy, ;)

> > and XMMS playing my play
> > list.
>
> do admins have sound cards? Most servers don't

I know an admin who has a sound card in his workstation ;) I know Servers
don't really have a use for them.... But then again, wouldn't it be good for
debug sounds or something similar?

I'm not really sure because my experience in servers is minimal at best.