Re: [SLE] Hyper-Threading: Is It There?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:05:07 -0700
Hello, again,

I think I've figured out the problem with my elusive Hyper-Threading.
Apparently I was confused by two things:

1) The text "Supporting Hyper-Threading Technology" on the CPU box
2) The "ht" feature in the processor information (hwinfo & /proc/cpuinfo)

(1) can be understood as being a generic box used by all Pentium 4
processors.

(2) is still a mystery to me.

According to the table at
<http://www.intel.com/design/Pentium4/prodbref/>, this processor does
_not_ incorporate Hyper-Threading.

If anyone can help me understand why the "ht" feature is shown in the
processor flags, I'd appreciate it.

Is anybody else willing to admit being fooled^Wconfused by the P4
packaging?

Randall Schulz