Re: [SLE] Which motherboard/RAID controller for home file-server?
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:55:07 +0200
On Monday 02 August 2004 10:37, John Andersen wrote:
> If you buy a raid controller then it pretty much does not matter
> which mobo you get. But be sure you go to the supported hardware
> section of the SuSE Manual/Website and make sure the raid controller
> is supported.

It doesn't appear to have much info on SuSE 9.1. :(

> OR you could do software raid. This lets you use any mix of disks
> (scsi, ata, sata) and combine them into an array. Yast handles
> this quite nicely.

Would this work well with a PCI controller? I'd expect that the kernel would
send each package separately over the PCI bus, or ... ?

> I would recommend keeping all the system stuff on a regular
> flat disk, not in the raid array.

That's a good tip indeed. I'll have a look to see if I have a small HD lying
around anywhere for the OS. No need to waste a 160+ GB driver on that. :)

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff