Re: [SLE] bootsplash 9.1 pro
  • From: Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:25:44 -0500
On Monday 02 August 2004 11:55 am, Catimimi wrote:
> Carl William Spitzer IV a écrit :
> >On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 20:18, Richard Atcheson wrote:
> >>On Saturday 31 July 2004 11:00 am, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

> You certainly have done something which broke the splash.
On the machines that don't do splash I did a fresh install with plain old
suse kernel all updated by Yast.
> Did you compile your kernel ? if so did you change the config options
> such as initrd
> bootsplash, framebuffer ...?
>
> If not and if you use the native SuSE kernel, it should work.
No changes made to any of the above.
> In order to reply to an earlier post, I've to tell that I always use the
> vanilla kernel (2.6.8-rc2 at
> the present time) but that I patch it with tha bootsplash patch that
> I've to maintain up to date
> by myself.
>
> Did you upgrade from SuSe 8.2 or did you make a fresh install ?
>
> What is the type of your video card ?
Intel 855 Gm on a Dell 1150.

I have followed all the suggestions so far with no luck.

If I go into Yast>System>Runlevel Editor and look at the splash entries,
Splash Early and Splash Late are running. Splash is not running so I
click start and I get the error message :
/etc/init.d/splash start returned 5 (program is not installed).

So I look at /etc/init.d/splash and it is identical to the machine that
works. Then I look into /sbin and I find splash and splash.bin which are
the same as the machine that works. I checked the splash rpms and they
are installed. To be sure, I remove and reinstall them but problem
remains the same.

Just now I did a
cat /proc/splash
which returned no such file or directory.

On the machine that works it returns
Splash screen v3.1.6 . . .: on

So my question now is how is the /proc/splash supposed to get the correct
info?

I wonder if the others with this problem have the same result with
cat /proc/splash.
Richard

< Previous Next >