SuSE9.1 As multimedia office machine
  • From: "Elijah Savage" <esavage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:01:43 -0400
All,

I am a long time supporter of SuSE, I will have to take pictures
sometime of every box set of SuSE Pro I have. Anyway here is my problem;
at work I want to convert my desktop machine to SuSE9.1. It is in a
Active Directory domain with Gigabit network connectivity, I know I will
need samba for this but is it possible for SuSE boot up and log in
natively to our AD Domain like the windows machines and our MACS. I just
find it amazing the Apple/Freebsd was able to make this transparent and
native and be able to see all the file shares the macs os10 actually
comes up with the 3 prompt login.

Also the other thing is working with large multimedia files, I have
loaded mplayer at home but when I go to play some of these files from my
file server it always downloads the files to the /tmp directory before
actually playing the file and some of the files will not even play and I
loaded all the w32 codecs from pacmans site. On a 100mbit network this
can take a few minutes to pull a 600meg to gig file across to this
machine, I am sure it will be quicker at work but I want to get
everything right at home before I screw withy my machine at work.

This is just the start.

Thank you
  • No further messages