Re: [SLE] Root has sound, user doesn't
  • From: Harry Reinert <bc550@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:03:45 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Paul Abrahams wrote:

> I'm running SuSE 7.1 with KDE. When I log in as root, I get
> the startup sound; when I log in as an ordinary user, I
> don't. I've looked at the settings in the Control Center
> and I can't find any that differ. Also, when I try to test
> a system sound as root, it works; when I do that as a user,
> it doesn't. The permissions for /etc/sndstat are
> crw-rw-rw-.
>
> Any suggestions about what the cause might be or how to
> investigate this?

Paul -

I had the same problem. What worked for me was adding users to the group
audio. I had to do this in Yast, because the KDE User Manageer seemed to
goof things up.

My one remaining sound problem is getting realaudio to work. It keeps
complaining about the device being busy, but it doesn't say what device it
is. There was a suggestion yesterday to try strace, but that provided no
useful information.

Hope this helps.

Harry