Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0
  • From: gmilanese@xxxxxxxxx (Guido Milanese)
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 13:52:11 +0100 (CET)

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 13:52:11 +0100 (CET)
From: Guido Milanese <gmilanese@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0

On 03-Dec-00 Jerry Kreps wrote:

> No need to go insane! Now you have to configure the printcap file...
> Run YaST and select the 'Configure Hardware" option, which leads
> to the option to configure the printer, or run YaST2 and chose
> the 'Configure the Printer" button.

Thanks -- did it. Always the same answer: installing with yast2, the
hello world statement is sent correctly, but the test page is not
printed. From command line, lpq gives:

Local printer 'lp' on pentiumiii.miarete: no spooling, no printing

and lpr sometimes (not always) returns this info:

illegal ack code '': Pipe rotta

"Pipe rotta" = "broken pipe"

not very nice indeed....

I also tried:

cat moglie.txt | lpr -Pascii

and this gave as output:

cat moglie.txt | lpr -Pascii

Dec 3 12:10:00 pentiumiii lpr ascii: Readlockfile: cannot open/create
lock file '/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-a4-ascii-mono-300/lock': Permesso
negato

"Permesso negato" = permission denied

I was logged as root. The permissions of the lock file are:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 dic 3 11:42
/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-a4-ascii-mono-300/lock

Permissions of the other lock files:
/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-a4-auto-mono-300/lock

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 nov 9 09:59 lock

which seems wrong to me: I changed to
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root
but nothing changed -- still the message
Readlockfile: cannot open/create lock file
'/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-a4-auto-mono-300/lock': Permesso negato

/var/spool/lpd/ljet3-a4-raw/lock
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5 dic 3 11:42 lock

To be sure, I also installed through yast. The problem is not, I think,
in the printcap configuration: did it also manually using SETUP, but no
change happened. There must be something wrong in the lock files
permissions ore something like that -- why this "no spooling" message?

I am rather confused, sorry to be such a nuisance to the list. But I
promise that, if all of this ends well, I will post a detailed message
with the whole story -- may be helpful to other people.

Best regards from Italy!
g.

E-Mail: Guido Milanese <gmilanese@xxxxxxxxx>
Homepage: http://fly.to/arsantiqua
03-Dec-00 - XFMail on Linux
+ + + + + + NON NOBIS DOMINE + + + + + +