Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0

From: Jerry Kreps <jerrykreps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:54:39 -0600
Subject: Re: [SLE] Printing problem after upgrade to 7.0

On Saturday 02 December 2000 16:33, Guido Milanese wrote:
> Sorry to bother you again with this printing problem. Before
> leaving Suse and installing another distribution (a friend suggest
> Mandrake as basically more reliable) I think I may try, with your
> kind help, a "final step".

SuSE 7 uses modules to load drivers.
do a "cat /proc/modules" to see if lp is listed among the installed modules.
If not then su to root and do "modprobe lp".
If your printer is on, and online, you should hear it cycle when the lp module
loads. Redo the "cat /proc/modules" and you will see lp and some
associated modules listed. You can add "modprobe lp" to boot.local, so it
will load the next time you reboot, then exit root and return to your user account.

JLK

> I tried *all* the suggestion of listmembers, including a new
> installation of 7.0. No change. From a lpq -a command I still get
> the "no spooling, no printing" answer.
>
> Looking in /var/spool/mail/guido (or /var/spool/mail/root) I read
> the same kind of message:
>
> "Your printer job (/home/guido/moglie.txt )
> was not printed because it was not linked to the original file"
>
> What may this mean?
> thanks again for a rather furious Italian user...

> E-Mail: Guido Milanese <gmilanese@xxxxxxxxx>
> Homepage: http://fly.to/arsantiqua
> 02-Dec-00 - XFMail on Linux
> + + + + + + NON NOBIS DOMINE + + + + + +

Scientific theories, according to Sir Karl Popper, can be "falsified," or proven wrong, by experiment.
Unscientific theories -Marxist dialectical history and Freudian psychology were Popper's favorites-
are formed in such a way that they cannot be falsified by data.