Re: [SLE] Is Linux Ready? Talking about Permission
  • From: calyth@xxxxxxxx (Calyth)
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:52:53 -0700

More Rant about permission in NT (there's no such thing in windows):
Recently at my school some dumba$$ changed the swap file setting in NT
to 0 and 3 machines bombed out. The reason it's possible because Real
player needs administrative rights and one of the courses uses
exclusively real player (CCNA). There's also experiences where files
were deleted by someone else using the computer, even the file are
assigned permission.
In Linux at home I have no such problem, Real player runs the same on
root or myself unpriviledged. There's no way for me to change the
swapfile, even if somehow it did, I would have enable a swap file in
about three commands. As to file to file permission, I accidentally set
the umask of a directory wrong, and my friends were unable to even enter
the folders!

Point is, linux is not exactly ready for the windummies out there, but
everything else are so much better there's no other system (well maybe
unix) like it.

Calyth