Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xfce (10 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-xfce] Help for a newcomer to XFCE
  • From: Pavel Nemec <pnemec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:53:11 +0200
Dne Wednesday 02 July 2008 14:04:20 Andrew Wafaa napsal(a):
Greetings,

I'm a noob when it comes to the ways of XFCE, I'm predominantly a GNOME
user although I do also use KDE. I would love to use XFCE on my eeePC,
and also hopefully create a usb image for others to use. I do have a
few questions with this in mind:

1. As the standard eeePC is very limited on space I would really like
to hear of people's recommendations for applications. Ideally I would
like to have as close to a full blown desktop providing all the
functionality that I would see in a full sized laptop. I think the
basics for this list are - RSS reader, IRC client, IM client, e-mail
client, calendar client, VoIP client, webcam client, Office apps (Word
Processor/Spreadsheet/Presentation/PDF), Media client (video and audio),
codecs, network management, Image viewer. I appreciate that some of
these are provided by default XFCE and also the Community repo.

I am just thinking if you wouldn`t be more efficient with KDE (in space).
Anyway some some tips:
irc+mail+browser+rss - opera/seamonkey
voip twinkle
office - abiword/open office
pdf - evince
audio/video - xine+xfmedia

2. Does anyone have a link to or could they provide a KIWI control
file for creating an XFCE live CD or similar? Obviously having the
application list first would help in the creation of the xml.

I can do one. I can do official one. But I want at least three user to test it
regularly.
We can make official xfce live desktop cd :) I like this idea.

Have a nice day,
Pavel

--
Pavel Nemec