Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-xfce (10 mails)

< Previous Next >
[opensuse-xfce] Help for a newcomer to XFCE
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:04:20 +0100
Greetings,

I'm a noob when it comes to the ways of XFCE, I'm predominantly a GNOME
user although I do also use KDE. I would love to use XFCE on my eeePC,
and also hopefully create a usb image for others to use. I do have a
few questions with this in mind:

1. As the standard eeePC is very limited on space I would really like
to hear of people's recommendations for applications. Ideally I would
like to have as close to a full blown desktop providing all the
functionality that I would see in a full sized laptop. I think the
basics for this list are - RSS reader, IRC client, IM client, e-mail
client, calendar client, VoIP client, webcam client, Office apps (Word
Processor/Spreadsheet/Presentation/PDF), Media client (video and audio),
codecs, network management, Image viewer. I appreciate that some of
these are provided by default XFCE and also the Community repo.

2. Does anyone have a link to or could they provide a KIWI control
file for creating an XFCE live CD or similar? Obviously having the
application list first would help in the creation of the xml.

3. If I choose to use NetworkManager under XFCE how would I enable it
to start automatically when I log in? At the minute I have to run
nm-applet manually to be able to get my network status and connect to
wireless APs.

Many thanks,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa, openSUSE Member: GNOME & Marketing Teams.
http://opensuse.org/GNOME | http://en.opensuse.org/Marketing_Team