Re: [opensuse-wiki] DocBook editors
On 2017-01-20 18:08, Christoph Wickert wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:02:06 +0100

How about using LyX? As I remember, it includes docbook support, and
it is WYMIWYG (what you mean is what you get). There is some visual
indication of how the document is going to look (not fully).

Frankly speaking I have no experience with Lyx. AFAIK it more or less
usable, but not really "what you get" as all the editing happens in the
lyx format and only exports to DocBook. If you really want to
consistently get what you mean throughout all formats, you have to
stick to the source, that means to DocBook.

In any case, with LyX you have to compile or create the output format.
Normally it would be PDF, ps, html... In this case, there may an extra
step in generating xml.

The advantage of LyX is using a nice looking original that looks similar
to the expected output, before "compilation". Easier to start.
However... always something seems to fail.

Also, I'm not sure if lyx supports custom schemas such as geekodoc, but
it's probably a good start for somebody who is not familiar with
DocBook. So if somebody wants to contribute to the SUSE/openSUSE
documentation and submits something as Lxy-generated DocBook, that's
perfectly fine. If it doesn't validate with our schema, a little sed
and awk magic should help.

I asked because years ago I tried a go with LyX and docbook, and I did
not succeed. I wanted to try that method because I find the act of
editing or writing in LyX easy. My goal at the time was producing man
pages. Or rather translating them. I do not like having to edit and see
to tokens or xml in the text, too confusing for me.

I also tried with the older linuxdoc, and failed, too. The man page
stylesheet (or whatever is the proper name for LyX) was incomplete or bad.

Long story short: If you want to help us with the documentation and
have written something, any format should do. Throw plain text at us
and we will take care of the rest. We even had submissions from
partners as MS Word documents, so it can't get any worse than that. ;-)

Good to know :-)

No, I do not have anything to write about currently, not for
doc.opensuse. I'm just exploring possibilities. You people know more
about this than me, so I took the chance to ask ;-)

I do have pending work to do on the wiki, yes (the offline upgrade page).

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

List Navigation