[opensuse-wiki] DocBook editors (was: Why is this acceptable?)
On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:02:06 +0100

How about using LyX? As I remember, it includes docbook support, and
it is WYMIWYG (what you mean is what you get). There is some visual
indication of how the document is going to look (not fully).

Frankly speaking I have no experience with Lyx. AFAIK it more or less
usable, but not really "what you get" as all the editing happens in the
lyx format and only exports to DocBook. If you really want to
consistently get what you mean throughout all formats, you have to
stick to the source, that means to DocBook.

Also, I'm not sure if lyx supports custom schemas such as geekodoc, but
it's probably a good start for somebody who is not familiar with
DocBook. So if somebody wants to contribute to the SUSE/openSUSE
documentation and submits something as Lxy-generated DocBook, that's
perfectly fine. If it doesn't validate with our schema, a little sed
and awk magic should help.

Long story short: If you want to help us with the documentation and
have written something, any format should do. Throw plain text at us
and we will take care of the rest. We even had submissions from
partners as MS Word documents, so it can't get any worse than that. ;-)

Best regards,
Christoph

--
Christoph Wickert <cwickert@xxxxxxx>