Re: [opensuse-wiki] Wiki Transition + Next Meeting
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 23:07:50 +0100
Hello,

on Samstag, 5. Dezember 2009, Rajko M. wrote:
On Friday 04 December 2009 16:57:21 Christian Boltz wrote:
MultiBoilerplate displays a template dropdown when creating a new
page (which contains a list of template pages) and copies the
selected template to the new page.
OK, that is convincing :)
I have couple of them to install, and check how they cooperate.
Of course I better go and update the Mediawiki itself.

Which other extensions for using page templates do/did you test?

I don't remember all details and which extensions I checked/tested, but
MultiBoilerplate was the best match for my (customer's) usecase.

Question: does this sound useful for the openSUSE wiki?

As always with a lot of diplomacy :)

;-)

On the technical side, this extension didn't cause any problems for
me (even when combined with a graphical editor and
SelectCategoryCloud, which all affect the editing page - loading
order matters)

Which is controlled where ?

The load order? Simply by the inclusion order in LocalSettings.php.

In short: If you think about what an extension does, you can tell which
load order makes sense.

I'll give you an example with FCKeditor (WYSIWYG editor) and
SelectCategoryTagCloud:

The category cloud (which strips the categories from the article text
and displays them in a separate field on the edit page [1]) has to be
loaded _before_ FCKeditor is loaded. Not surprising, because it affects
the text FCKeditor sees.

A graphical editor (in my case FCKeditor) should be the last extension
you include - at least the last extension that affects the edit page.

But that's all not relevant for the openSUSE wiki since we all can write
wikitext, don't need a graphical editor *g* and a list of all available
categories on each edit page would double the edit page size in the
openSUSE wiki ;-)

That said: many (most?) extensions can be loaded in any order, because
they don't affect each other. But there are exceptions like in the above
example.

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] This has advantages and disadvantages - a disadvantage is that it
can move categories to the wrong place in a template (hint:
<includeonly>/<noinclude>). Therefore I disabled the category cloud
for the template namespace.

--
SOAP is really now just called "SOAP", I think they've dropped the
"Simple..." bit from the name as it can be anything but simple.