Re: [opensuse-wiki] RFC: Language wikis with low or no activity
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 01:20:19 -0500
This wiki has been closed down. Please visit either the official openSUSE
wiki in English or the unofficial Finish openSUSE wiki.

I think that we should apply the similar procedure for:

* http://vi.opensuse.org
* http://is.opensuse.org
* http://el.opensuse.org
* http://tr.opensuse.org

just in case that someone is willing to take maintainership of it.

Put banner on it instructing people that wiki is not maintained and currently
closed, and that they can use en.o.o, or subscribe to opensuse-wiki mail list
and ask to be wiki maintainers.

Let banner hang for another 6 months and if nobody steps up use wiki
installation for different purpose (if possible/viable).

The http://vi.opensuse.org is already out of maintenance for quite some time,
so it can be reasonable to shut it down earlier then other.

We have to think how to handle that in the future:

1) Create solution for wiki article translators without administrative
overhead added by separate wiki. Something like translation repository where
people can translate article and mark them with language code.

So far I recall there was idea about babel.o.o as such place.

The workflow should be very simple:
- article title is <lang>-<Traslated Title>
- first comment: Translated from http://en.opensuse.org/<Original Title>
- add link to en.o.o

2) Establish rule how many translators and maintainers is needed before
creation of language wiki. Asking for certain number of volunteers and setting
higher goal on number of translated article can prevent one man shows, that
sooner or later fail.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://news.opensuse.org/category/people-of-opensuse/