Re: [opensuse-wiki] PT-BR Translation
  • From: Rangel Perez Sardinha <rangel.sardinha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:12:26 -0200
Peter Flodin wrote:
On 2/9/06, Rangel Perez Sardinha <rangel.sardinha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Open Suse Wiki Staff,

I´m disponible to make the translation of suse wiki to portuguese
brazil. I wish to known more datails of how can i start the translation.
I´ve readed the Translation guide and starting to translate the minimum
list on step 2. Please send me more information and if has more
participants to pt-br translation.

Hi Rangel,

At the danger of insulting large parts of the world I have a question
mostly from a personal interest.

How different is Portugese (PT) from Portugese Brazil (PT-BR)? Do you
think they need separate language wikis?

For example I can't imagine that we will ever have EN-UK or EN-AU as
there is only really spelling that is different.

Peter 'Pflodo' Flodin
Hi Peter,

We have too many language differences in our languages The portuguese spoked on Portugal is the same to African countries, Madeira Island and Canarian Island, and a little part of India(Goa,i think). Brazil was discovered by Portugueses in 1500 and independent since 1822. Since 1822 the brazilian people lost the language contact, creating many differences of terms, into computer terms the confusion is bigger. A Portuguese and a Brazilian can understand one each other, but with difficulties. Another motive to separate wiki PT and PT-BR is the number of people that speak brazilian portuguese: 180 millions, this is major that the sum of all people that spoke Portuguese from Portugal :)
If you check the locale of linux installation you will found pt and pt-br. In the Suse installation too.

Regards

Rangel Perez Sardinha
<rangel.sardinha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Pragya Technologies Brazil