Re: [opensuse-web] Wiki search - proposal
  • From: Wolfgang Hahnl <slughorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 22:48:11 +0100
Hello Christian,

I work in the dewiki.
I need the search function every day.
And often I wondered about the results. Now I see the reason. And I would
agree with some changes:

Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013, 21:52:51 schrieb Christian Boltz:
Hello,

I'm starting a new thread to make sure everybody who is interested
notices it ;-)

You all know that we get quite some complaints (and/or complain ourself)
about our wiki search because "it doesn't find the stuff".

This is mostly caused by the fact that by default the search only lists
pages in the main and Portal namespace.

I propose to change the wiki search and the config of Lucene (the search
engine used in the openSUSE wikis) to
- search all (relevant) namespaces
- use [Namespace-Boost] in lsearch-global.conf to boost the namespaces
that we currently search (main and portal)

The result will be that pages from main and portal namespace will still
be the top-rated search results, with the (currently hidden) results
from other namespaces below.

Here's a list of the namespaces we use, together with the boost value I
propose (1 means top rating, 0.0001 means it will be the last search
result, - means not to include this namespace in the default search [1])

Boost Namespace number/name
1 0 Main
0.0005 1 Talk
0.005 2 User
0.001 3 User talk
0.6 4 Project ("openSUSE")
0.0005 5 Project talk
0.02 6 File
0.0005 7 File talk
0.005 8 MediaWiki
- 9 MediaWiki talk
0.0005 10 Template
- 11 Template talk
0.01 12 Help
0.0005 13 Help talk
0.02 14 Category
0.0005 15 Category talk
0.6 100 SDB
0.0005 101 SDB talk
1 102 Portal
0.0005 103 Portal talk
0.2 104 Archive
0.0005 105 Archive talk
0.2 106 HCL
0.0005 107 HCL talk
- 110 Book
- 111 Book talk
- 122 Property
- 123 Property talk
- 126 Form
- 127 Form talk
- 128 Concept
- 129 Concept talk
- 420 Layer
- 421 Layer talk

Just in case you wonder about the numbers - they are based on what
Wikipedia uses AFAIK:
(0, 1) (1, 0.0005) (2, 0.005) (3, 0.001) (4, 0.01), (6, 0.02),
(8, 0.005), (10, 0.0005), (12, 0.01), (14, 0.02)
and adjusted to our needs (see for example the difference in the project
namespace)

I'd like to know
- if you like this proposal in general,

yes

- if you agree with the list of namespaces to search by default,

yes

- if we want to include the talk pages in the default search and

+/- I think this is not so important.

- if you agree with the boost value for each namespace

The number system you mentioned above is a little to cryptical for me.
"Say" what is first, second and so on in the result list.

Best Regards

Wolfgang

openSUSE Member
DE-Wiki-Team