Re: [opensuse-web] Templates: Box-footer and other classes
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 07:39:39 -0600
On Saturday, December 17, 2011 05:22:28 AM Rajko M. wrote:
Is currently broken in Firefox.
Length is bigger then box that it suppose to close.

Nice about CSS clasess, they are short way to write CSS styles.
Bad, is that debugging is horror.

Before, I would see all styles in one place.
Now guess what, I have to wade trough MediaWiki:Common.css, look at the page
source to see how is that rendered, use Firebug to test changes, iterate
trough all that back and forth to get simple runover footer under control.

Good about that is that made me see what we actually have in
MediaWiki:Common.css.

I think that guy that made all that did the job just as described in the GCI
task, with one catch, we missed to describe task properly.

Classes are there to make code text shorter and as in any programming they
make no sense if you don't save some typing. It is absolutely not waranted if
you introduce new commands that mean learning effort with no benefits:
.clear {
clear:both;
}

.clear-left {
clear:left;
}

.clear-right {
clear:right;
}

.32-icon {
width: 36px;
}

.vertical-align-mid {
vertical-align:middle;
}

.single-right-pad {
padding-right: 1em;
}

.single-pad {
padding: 1em;
}

.vertical-align-top {
vertical-align: top;
}
.smalltext {
font-size: 80%;
}

.bigtext {
font-size: 120%;
}

.width49 {
width: 49%;
}

.no-margin {
margin:0 0 0 0;
}

.single-margin {
margin: 1em;

}
.edu {
}

.move_to_hcl {
width:95%;
}

.move_to_portal {
width:100%;
}

.move_to_sdb {
width:100%;
}

.moved_to_external {
width:96.5%;
}

Duplicates:

.expand {
background:#ffeecc;
border:2px solid #FF9900;
}

.forbidden-wrapper {
background:#ffeecc;
border:2px solid #FF9900;
}

Or, what to do with classes for single template, like one below and many more:
.step-screenshot-image {
width: 215px;
text-align:right;
vertical-align:center;
padding:0 .5em 0 0;
color: #fff;
}

.step-screenshot-text {
width:75%;
margin:0 1em 0 0;
padding:0 1em 0 .5em;
font-size:100%;
border-left: 1px solid #babdb6;
}

.step-screenshot-big-image {
width: 415px;
}

Did I mention that somewhere on TODO list that I fill with tasks, but seldom
empty it:
* Step_screenshot template, and similar is to be replaced with Text_and_image,
or Image_and_text.
* Weekly news related templates are not used, besides archives. There was no
need to put any effort in this.

Like with any program, and CSS is programming language interpreted by browser
rendering engine, before you jump you must see what you want as end effect,
otherwise you replace one one hackish solution (problem) with another.

--
Regards, Rajko