Re: [opensuse-web] New www.o.o landing page
Hey,

On 02.03.2011 21:48, Christian Boltz wrote:
on Mittwoch, 2. März 2011, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
On 01.03.2011 22:50, Christian Boltz wrote:
on Dienstag, 1. März 2011, Manu Gupta wrote:
I had a recent discussion about website landing pages on irc, we
are discarding the whole idea and replacing it with
wordpress-based news page and integrating news and landing page

I like the idea, except the "wordpress" part ;-)

We would have to redo everything we did for wordpress over again and
would have to throw away years of experience with the most popular
CMS on this planet. For what?

(I'll avoid jokes about the "most popular operating system" and phpBB as
the most popular exploit provider^W^Wforum software ;-)

I strongly object to this. Lets base the future on what we do today
instead of throwing everything over board once again.

Henne, I understand your point, and I'm also not a big fan of changing
everything for little reason. That method would have saved openSUSE lots
of trouble in the past (ZENworks anyone? ;-) - but OTOH we wouldn't have
the wonderful libzypp based package management we have today.
Sometimes there are good reasons for a change, sometimes there aren't.

Please don't compare apples with oranges :) We don't have a problem with
wordpress. If we would have I would be the first one to try to change it.

Seriously: Can you give a short summary about what is "special" in the
openSUSE wordpress installations (news.o.o etc.) compared to a vanilla
wordpress? I'll then try to give a rough estimate how much time a
migration would take.

And then? You do it?

Henne

--