Re: [opensuse-virtual] setup xen DomU/Guest from openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso
  • From: "Jason Douglas" <jdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:12:37 -0600
On 4/22/2009 at 03:44 PM, in message
<49EF8FB9.7010201@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andre
Mueller <andre.mueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello

I am new to xen so my question may be vain.

On the host I have set-up OpenSuse 11.1 x86_64 and thereafter I have

successfully installed xen server (with all latest updates).

In the yast xen "Create Virtual Machines" tool I have tried several
times to create a xen vm from openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso (iso
loaded
to the local system from mirror linked on opensuse.org) as
repository.
Almost at the beginning of the create process I get always the
message
"Error : The installation source is unusable." - "Details : the
'kernel-xen' and 'install-initrd' packages were not found"

Trying the creation of an alternative vm (with equal settings) but
using
as repository source the openSUSE-11.1-DVD-i586.iso (also downloaded

from a opensuse.org mirror) the vm is created successfully.

So I am wondering why on the openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso the
packages
'kernel-xen' and 'install-initrd' are missing and/or do I have missed

the an important information, that x86_64 can not be used as guest
system?

Thanks for any hints, with best regards,

André

André,

I'm not exactly sure why you are seeing this problem. I have
successfully installed a paravirtualized VM from the
openSUSE-11.1-DVD-x86_64.iso, so it should be possible.

Here are some possible reasons that your installation is failing. Some
of them are fairly obvious, but they are all good things to double check
when you run into this sort of trouble.
1. The ISO you downloaded is corrupt. Verifying the md5sum should be
sufficient to eliminate this as the cause of the problem.
2. (highly unlikely) There is a version of the openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 iso
floating around that doesn't include the installation kernel and ramdisk
for xen. Check for the following files on your ISO:
/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz-xen and /boot/x86_64/initrd-xen.
3. Your hypervisor and dom0 are 32-bit. A 64-bit hypervisor is
required to run 64-bit VMs. You can run `xm info | grep xen_caps` to
see the guest architectures that are supported on your hypervisor. Mine
shows the following:
-------
# xm info | grep xen_caps
xen_caps : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
-------

Finally, if none of the above ideas are the root of the problem, you
can get some additional debug information by duplicating the failure
while running the "Create Virtual Machines" utility from the command
line, passing in the debug flag:

# vm-install --debug > vm-install.out

Feel free to attach vm-install.out to a subsequent message if you'd
like help parsing the log, or simply enter a bug. Good luck!

Jason