Re: [opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installationresp.configuration
  • From: "Jason Douglas" <jdouglas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 16:04:19 -0600
On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:55 PM, in message <20080519195547.17820@xxxxxxx>,
<gildo.rex@xxxxxx> wrote:
Here's the config file of the VM:

name="test2"
ostype="opensuse"
uuid="e8fa2bfb-54c9-440a-43fa-a58b361ce80e"
memory=512
vcpus=1
on_crash="destroy"
on_poweroff="destroy"
on_reboot="restart"
localtime=0
builder="linux"
bootloader="/usr/lib/xen/boot/domUloader.py"
bootargs="--entry=xvda2:/boot/vmlinuz-xen,/boot/initrd-xen"
extra=" "
disk=[ 'file:/var/lib/xen/images/mpichxentest2/disk0,xvda,w', ]
vif=[ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:00:02', ]
vfb=['type=vnc,vncunused=1']

So I have to change the line

bootargs="--entry=xvda2:/boot/vmlinuz-xen,/boot/initrd-xen"

bootargs="--entry=xvda2:/boot/vmlinuz-xen-pae,/boot/initrd-xen-pae"

?

Almost. There is no hyphen between xen and pae, so it will look like this:

bootargs="--entry=xvda2:/boot/vmlinuz-xenpae,/boot/initrd-xenpae"

Once you have installed the kernel-xenpae package into the guest, you can
copy
it to the PAE host and change those entries to -xenpae.

Stupid question: How do I install that kernel? Via Yast on the original
system?

via Yast in the VM running on the original system is probably the easiest. I
don't remember exactly how things look on openSUSE 10.3, but basically you
would launch the software management yast module, search for kernel-xenpae, and
install it.

If I may summarize: I install both kernels in the VM. Via the bootargs-line
in the config file, I can refer to one of the kernels. On the PAE-host, it
refers to the PAE-kernel, on the non-PAE-host, it refers the non-PAE-kernel.
So I
could have a local version of the config file on each host, and just copy the
diskfile, when I change the installation.

Did I get it??

That's it. Let me know how things turn out.

Jason