Re: [opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installation resp.configuration
  • From: Willem Meens <opensuse-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 21:58:35 +0200
Sorry for the break-in, Just wanted to say good info James! Thanks for
sharing that ;)

We have been doing a couple of Xen production setups along with
heartbeat clustering on SLES 10 SP1 (using fiber and iSCSI SANs). It's
working quite nicely and all hosts are running 64bit versions of SLES,
one thing I would absolutely recommend.

The kernel version thing between paravirtual host & guest is something
that was/is not all to clear to me & your post just gave me some new
clues!

As a side note for VM migration: Once the xen config files are setup for
it (e.g. permitting hosts to migrate guest vms to each other) the Linux
guests migrate fine.
Windows guests (all 32bit) on the other hand give us trouble as instead
of migrating the guest gets destroyed on one side and created on the
other side (eg hard power of and startup). Not the best way to do
things ;)

A friend already hinted me to pause and resume the windows guests
instead of doing a migration, but still have to sort that out & I read
this is a limitation of the xen 3.0.4 version included in SLES 10 SP1.
As I understand 3.1+ does not have this windows vm migration issue? So
hoping this will be fixed soon with SP2.

Cheers,
Wj