Re: [opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installation resp. configuration
  • From: "Andrew Foulsham" <andrew.foulsham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:20:36 +0100
On 16 May 2008 at 11:45, gildo.rex@xxxxxx wrote:

Hi all,

I want to perform a performance test and compare physical and virtual
platforms. To ensure comparability I want to install openSuSE 10.3 in
the physical machines as well as in the VMware-VMs, in the Xen-DomUs
and so on...

I've installed Xen as package right from scratch with a fresh
installation of openSuSE 10.3 on my computer system. I can boot the
system into the Xen-Kernel

Now I'm running into problems with setting up DomUs:

I'm using the "Create Virtual Machine"-program, for the setup, which
is installed along with the Xen-package.

It asks for the config of the new VM resp. DomU. At "Operating System
Installation" I'm asked to provide an installation source. Therefor I
wanted ot use a local iso-image on the desktop. I used the same for
installing VMware-VMs. Unfortunately I get teh error message:
"installation source is unusable". The same when using the physical CD
via the physical CD-ROM-drive.

If I choose Full Virtualization instead of Paravirtualization, I get
no error message. A VNC-window opens, which indicates, that a process
is being started, but the process seems to stuck when loading the
iso-image.

I have 3 programs available in YaST2 under "Virtualization":

1.) Create Virtual Machines -> doesn't work, like explained. 2.)
Install Hypervisor and Tools -> States, that the hypervisor and the
tools are properly installed. 3.) Virtual Machine Manager -> Doesn't
start and gives the following error message on console: xend [ERROR]
Config file does not exist: /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

But that file exists. I've changed the permission, but the Virtual
Machine Manager doesn't start nevertheless.

Besides I recognize, that the physical hasn't got a NW-link after the
booting the xen-kernel. Under "Network Settings" I see, that the normal
device isn't connected. When leaving the NW-setting, the link works
(although I didn't edit anything).

The Xen-daemon is running, as I checked via

sudo /etc/init.d/xend start

Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my installation?? May there any
configuration be missing. Do you have some hints, how I can
troubleshoot that issue?

I'm almost desperate!!!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Dear Stephan,

I think that the problem you have encountered is that the single CD
of OpenSUSE 10.3 doesn't contain the paravirtualised kernel.

In my testing of Xen, I've got around this by using an ISO image of
the installation DVD, or (for a very convenient solution), I've set
up an installation server, which will allow you to use an HTTP
installation source for network installations. The instructions are
here:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation_Server
(although I have used a SLES machine as installation server on my
network).
If you are using an installation source for Xen, you do not need to
use a mini installation CD (which would be needed to install on a
physical machine), you would just need to specify the network
installation source in the following format:
http://server_hostname_or_IP/install/10.3/CD1
You would need to specify the appropriate hostname or IP address (of
course), and "install" is the directory alias that you specify during
the setup of the installation server. 10.3 is the source name of the
product, which you set up when loading the data from the ISO images -
don't forget the trailing /CD1 (it won't find the installation files
without it).
The only other thing to watch is that when creating an installation
source it will ask you to change CDs even if you have given it all
the files that it will need (perhaps from a DVD ISO image). When that
happens, just press cancel - the source will have been configured
successfully.
I hope that helps,

Andrew
--
Andrew Foulsham
IT Support Officer, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine