[opensuse-virtual] Problems with Xen-installation resp. configuration
  • From: gildo.rex@xxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:45:02 +0200
Hi all,

I want to perform a performance test and compare physical and virtual
platforms. To ensure comparability I want to install openSuSE 10.3 in the
physical machines as well as in the VMware-VMs, in the Xen-DomUs and so on...

I've installed Xen as package right from scratch with a fresh installation of
openSuSE 10.3 on my computer system. I can boot the system into the Xen-Kernel

Now I'm running into problems with setting up DomUs:

I'm using the "Create Virtual Machine"-program, for the setup, which is
installed along with the Xen-package.

It asks for the config of the new VM resp. DomU.
At "Operating System Installation" I'm asked to provide an installation source.
Therefor I wanted ot use a local iso-image on the desktop. I used the same for
installing VMware-VMs. Unfortunately I get teh error message: "installation
source is unusable".
The same when using the physical CD via the physical CD-ROM-drive.

If I choose Full Virtualization instead of Paravirtualization, I get no error
message. A VNC-window opens, which indicates, that a process is being started,
but the process seems to stuck when loading the iso-image.

I have 3 programs available in YaST2 under "Virtualization":

1.) Create Virtual Machines -> doesn't work, like explained.
2.) Install Hypervisor and Tools -> States, that the hypervisor and the tools
are properly installed.
3.) Virtual Machine Manager -> Doesn't start and gives the following error
message on console:
xend [ERROR] Config file does not exist: /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

But that file exists. I've changed the permission, but the Virtual Machine
Manager doesn't start nevertheless.

Besides I recognize, that the physical hasn't got a NW-link after the booting
the xen-kernel.
Under "Network Settings" I see, that the normal device isn't connected. When
leaving the NW-setting, the link works (although I didn't edit anything).

The Xen-daemon is running, as I checked via

sudo /etc/init.d/xend start

Can anybody tell me whats wrong with my installation?? May there any
configuration be missing. Do you have some hints, how I can troubleshoot that
issue?

I'm almost desperate!!!

Thanks in advance and kind regards

Stephan