Re: [opensuse-translation] l10n.opensuse.org: weblate upgrade: planned outage
On Dec 24, 2018 at 09:09 PM Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

It is always hard to guess. There is a guess "when no problems appear". But
even if the upgrade is always tested on the staging machine, things don't go
always as expected.

That sounds like you have to test with a "fresh" VM. Perhaps you can receive
the same behavior if you will ask after a snapshot of the live system for
test upgrades.

Yes, I used a fresh image. Some time ago, production instance was installed
from the same data set, but production setup went through the set of
incremental upgrades.

Starting with a whole filesystem snapshot could be a good idea. Or even making
both and evaluating differences.

By the way, I can clean-up the staging scripts a bit, and provide Weblate easy
installation tool to others.

In addition, you have to use a separate database with the database dump of
the live system (like now). Then the ip address of the snapshot vm and the
database configuration have to be changed. After that you should be able to
reproduce all better.

Yes, I do that.

In addition, I have another VM that simulates openSUSE infrastructure: haproxy
server with NPN HTTPS setup and the database server.

But even with the best ever setup, problems can appear. This time I discovered
a race condition that never appeared on the production machine, but appeared on
the staging machine. https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/issues/2467

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec